LC Pet Works Pets What to Do if My Dog Eats Glass

What to Do if My Dog Eats Glass


What to Do if My Dog Eats Glass

Dogs are curious creatures and can sometimes get into things they shouldn’t. One such dangerous situation is when they eat glass. If you suspect that your dog has ingested glass, it is important to act quickly and seek veterinary attention. Here’s what you should do if your dog eats glass:

1. Stay calm: It’s natural to panic when you realize your dog has consumed something harmful, but it’s crucial to remain calm. Panicking can make the situation more stressful for both you and your pet.

2. Assess the situation: If you witnessed your dog eating glass, try to determine how much was consumed and the size of the shards. This information will be helpful when you contact your veterinarian.

3. Do not induce vomiting: Unlike some other foreign objects, inducing vomiting is not recommended if your dog has eaten glass. This is because glass can cause severe damage to the esophagus, throat, and stomach during the regurgitation process.

4. Contact your veterinarian: Call your vet immediately and explain the situation. They will provide guidance on what steps to take next. They may instruct you to bring your dog in for an examination or provide home care instructions.

5. Observe your dog: Keep a close eye on your dog for any signs of distress, such as vomiting, drooling, difficulty breathing, or blood in the stool. Note any unusual behavior or changes in appetite, as these could be indications of internal injuries.

6. Follow your vet’s instructions: If your vet advises bringing your dog in, do so promptly. They will most likely conduct a physical examination and may recommend X-rays to determine the location and severity of the glass fragments.

See also  Why Does My Cat Like to Sleep on the Floor

7. Prevent future incidents: Dogs are naturally curious, so it’s crucial to dog-proof your home to minimize the risk of them ingesting harmful objects. Store glass items securely out of reach, avoid leaving broken glass unattended, and consider using safety gates to restrict access to certain areas.

8. Seek behavioral training: If your dog has a habit of getting into dangerous situations, it may be beneficial to seek professional training to curb their behavior. A certified dog trainer can help address any underlying issues and provide guidance on how to keep your dog safe.


1. Can a dog pass glass naturally?
In some cases, small glass fragments may pass through a dog’s digestive system without causing harm. However, larger or sharp pieces can cause severe internal injuries.

2. How long does it take for a dog to show symptoms after eating glass?
Symptoms can vary, but they may appear within a few hours to a couple of days after ingestion.

3. Can my dog die from eating glass?
Yes, ingesting glass can be life-threatening for dogs. It can cause severe injuries to their digestive tract, leading to internal bleeding or infection.

4. Should I induce vomiting if my dog eats a glass bottle?
No, inducing vomiting is not recommended if your dog has ingested glass. It can further damage their throat, esophagus, and stomach.

5. How can I prevent my dog from eating glass?
Store glass items securely, avoid leaving broken glass unattended, and consider behavioral training to discourage your dog from getting into dangerous situations.

6. What will the vet do if my dog eats glass?
The vet may conduct a physical examination, X-rays, or ultrasounds to assess the extent of the damage and determine the best course of treatment.

See also  What Causes Inverted Sneezing in Dogs

7. Can the vet remove glass from my dog’s stomach?
If the glass fragments are located in the stomach, the vet may perform an endoscopy or surgery to remove them.

8. How much does it cost to treat a dog that has eaten glass?
The cost of treatment depends on various factors, such as the severity of the ingestion and the required procedures. It’s best to consult with your veterinarian for an estimate.

Related Post